Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Lamest of All Possible Blog Posts, plus Lyrics Tossed To The Winds

I'm working on something long. It'll be cool. For some out there, it might be remedial. It'll be good for me to produce, I think. And it means I might not do regular blogging for a while.

In the meantime, here's something. Pribek blogged on Roger Waters losing his pig, which lead to some discussion on the relative worthiness of Pink Floyd. Here's my two cents:
PF Music comes in three primary creative elements: Syd, Roger and David. Syd music has three themes: “I rather like rock and volume”, “I rather like drugs” and “The sea isn’t green and I love the Queen and what exactly is a dream?” Roger music has three themes: “My daddy died in WWII and I’m still put off”, “The Who’s rock opera ended up with a rebirth of fascism so mine will too” and “Syd rather liked drugs”. David music has three themes: “If we diverge too far from the sound of Roger, it’ll be beyond my ability to play”, “If we diverge too far from the sound of Roger, the gravy train will derail” and “Syd rather liked drugs”.

Someone needs to give David Gilmour a CD of African rhythms and maybe a gold watch. Someone needs to give Roger Waters a puppy. And, sadly, Syd Barrett is beyond receiving anymore.
That sounds like a ringing endorsement of David Gilmour, doesn't it? I saw a bit on Live at Abbey Road with him, and he was doing a solo thing that sounded just like it belonged on Momentary Lapse of Reason. No new product from Pink Floyd since 1990 is worth listening to, but there are bits from Momentary Lapse of Reason that I kinda liked. "One Slip" has a line I thought was really powerful:
Was it love, or was it the idea of being in love?
That's something, isn't it? Are we talking emotional need? Are we talking vanity? Are they connected? Do we know our own emotions? Do wwe understand our own emotions? Geez, what a great line. And then we get:
Or was it the hand of fate, that seemed to fit just like a glove?
That was taken out of Songwriting 101 because it was too hackneyed.

So, what other lines are stuck in songs that don't deserve them?

No comments: